Since 1945, the Coastal Carolinas Association of REALTORS® (C.C.A.R.) serving Horry, Georgetown and surrounding counties, is the primary real estate resource for members and the community. CCAR provides its members with programs and services, which enhance the member’s ability to successfully conduct business in a professional manner, promote cooperation among its members, advocate the public’s right to use and transfer real property and support a spirit of community service.
Until the early 1980’s, the REALTOR® presence in Horry County was largely fragmented and dispersed over four boards – Grand Strand, Myrtle Beach, South Strand and Conway. Each board operated independently under their own elected officers and board of directors.
The Myrtle Beach Board operated the Multiple Listing Service, and shared the service with the members of other boards on an individual contract basis. The Myrtle Beach Board was the only one with paid staff. The functionality of the other boards fell on the board’s president, treasurer and secretary. This often presented a rather heavy workload for the officers, in addition to making a living in the real estate industry. These factors sparked talks of a merger in the 1980’s. Members of each board met to discuss the merger. In 1981, the South Strand Board, the Myrtle Beach Board and the Conway Board approved the merger.
The Georgetown Board of REALTORS® joined the association in 1995, and the name was changed to the Coastal Carolinas Association of REALTORS®. In January of 2009, we were pleased to merge with Grand Strand Board of REALTORS®.
Today, we have more than 3,000 active REALTOR® members.