Carolina Forest is a large area located between Myrtle Beach and Conway with a growing population. Currently, it has more than 33,000 residents. In 1937 International Paper bought the 30,000 acres between Myrtle Beach and Conway and named it Buist Tract. It was used as part of the Conway bombing and Gunnery Range during WWII. In 1960, International Paper donated part of the tract to Coastal Carolina University and intended for residential development for the remainder as part of the “Carolina Forest Master Plan” developed cooperatively between International Paper and the Horry County Government to include 20,000 home sites and schools, aptly named “Carolina Forest”.